What is the possible crimanal punishment for welfare fraud in Michigan, and what are the statute of limitations?

Asked about 5 years ago - Bay City, MI

About 13 years ago, the father of my two kids was living with us, but was a total drunk. If he worked, he wouldnt come home with his pay check until it was almost gone, I would have to wait for him to pass out so I could pick his pockets for whatever was left. In order to feed my small children and avoid homelessness, I reported that he moved out. This was only for a short while before he actually moved out. I have raised his kids alone for all these years and He is in arrears of $31,000 in back child support. We are going to court again soon, he wants to lower his child support, and is threatening to report me for what I did all those years ago. I have not been on welfare for many years, And have worked my butt off to keep us that way. Can I go to jail over this?

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Many factors such as age, prosecutor discretion, what judge you have, whether witnesses are credible all matter and that makes it near impossible to say what type of time you'll do if this is prosecuted. It is simply possible the story your opponent comes up with about supposed welfare fraud will not be believed. There is a six year statute of limitations in Michigan for fraud.

Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details. I do not practice in Michigan.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.