What is the point of a court date for a non-major traffic infraction? And can I get this reduced?

Van Nuys, CA |

I was ticketed by a motorcycle cop for an "illegal u-turn." I was parked on the curb of a 4-lane, 2-way street, and from my parked position, checked for traffic both ways and turned into the opposite lane when it was safe (technically a u-turn..of course if I were parked in a driveway, it would be a perfectly legal turn, there is a difference of only 45 degrees). Why isn't there an option just to mail in the payment, why is a court appearance required for this? It's not even a misdemeanor.

It is $238 however. Is there any way I can get that fine reduced if I appear in court and ask for a fine reduction?

Yes if you plead guilty at time of arraignment judge will probably reduce fine. Go to traffic school. This is a one point violation .

Andrew Roberts

If you plead at arraignment the Judge might reduce your fine. Traffic School will keep the point off your record but the conviction will stand.

Feel free to contact us for a consultation. Iannelli & Associates, 949 729-3171 This answer does not constitute legal advice and no attorney client relationship is created. Every case has many facts which are different and distinctly theirs, make sure that you understand this is general information and it would be advisable to constact a competent lawyer for personal legal advice.

Contact the traffic clerks office. Most courts have an option to pay and take traffic school without showing up in court.