What is the penalty for this

Salem, VA |

i was involved in a hit and run in va that i didn't know about till police pulled me over i was given a ticket for following to close and a ticket for hit and run attended property which the ticket says misdemenor i have to go to general traffic court oh and i was driving a commercial vehicle this is the first time this has ever happened to me

1. fIn Virginia there are levels of offenses for failing to stop at the scene of an accident and provide certain information (commonly referred to as "hit and run"). Assuming you are charged with the Class 1 Misdemeanor version, the maximum punishments are 12 months in jail and a $2500 fine. In addition your license may be suspended. As you can see, it is important that you retain an experienced Virginia Criminal Defense Lawyer to assist you.

This answer is provided as general information, is not intended to be relied upon, and does not create an attorney – client relationship. For more detailed information specific to your particular situation consult with an attorney experienced in the field of Virginia DUI & Criminal Defense.

T. Kevin Wilson, Esq.
    The Wilson Law Firm
    DUI & Criminal Defense…When Results Matter
    9300 Grant Avenue
    Suite 301
    Manassas, Virginia 20110

Telephone 703-361-6100
    Telephone 888-DUI-LWYR
    Facsimile 703-365-7988

Web: www.TheWilsonLawFirm.org

Member, National College of DUI Defense
    Member, Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
    Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers

For a FREE copy of the Virginia DUI / DWI Arrest Survival Guide: The Guilt Myth, a consumer guide written by a nationally recognized Virginia DUI Defense Lawyer, visit www.TheWilsonLawFirm.org

2. Answered 07/06/2010: A misdemeanor Hit and Run, like this one, is a class 1 misdemeanor. That means it has a maximum jail sentence of 1 yr (6 months the way they calculate it) and $2500. Those are maximums though. The good news is that you can fight and win those cases. Contact a lawyer because if you were unaware. Contact a lawyer and prepare. That really works. Good luck with this.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

Brian Geno
    Geno Law Firm
    Red Maple Court Office Condominiums
    10617 Jones Street, Suite 201-B
    Fairfax, VA 22030
    703-691-GENO (4366) Office
    703-691-4774 Fax
    info@GenoLaw.com Email
    www.NovaAttorney.com Web
    www.GenoLaw.com Web

3. The Virginia Criminal Code has several different charges relating to "hit and run" and the penalties for each version are different. Your question reads as though you were charged with the Class 1 Misdemeanor version, which means that you face a jail sentence of up to1 year and a fine of up to $2,500.

Whenever anyone contacts me who is facing this charge, I always recommend that a veteran defense lawyer be engaged to handle the situation.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

James R. Parrish, Esquire
    Parrish Law Firm, PLLC
    10620-C Crestwood Drive
    Manassas, Virginia 20109
    (571) 229-1800 x203 Office
    (703) 906-4229 Cell
    (571) 229-1818 Fax
    (703) 991-7096 eFax

www.theparrishlawfirm.com

www.accidents.theparrishlawfirm.com

www.dwi.theparrishlawfirm.com

www.traffic.theparrishlawfirm.com

4. As you have already been told, this is a Class 1 misdemeanor, which carries with it a possible jail sentence of twelve (12) months and/or a fine of up to $2,500.00.

The one question that concerns me is how did you not know you were involved in an accident? Are you sure you were? What is the evidence that the vehicle you were operating was actually involved in the accident the police stopped you for? Again, as has already been suggested, you should hire competent counsel immediately. Roanoke is a conservative area, so you should take this charge seriously. Good luck with your case.

Graven W. Craig

Traffic tickets topics