Skip to main content

What is the penalty for terroristic threatening if it is my first offense?

Conway, AR |
Filed under: Criminal charges

I am in military reserves and have no criminal background at all. I was dating this girl for a long time, and eventually we broke up. I threatened her and other people pretty severely back in October of last year. Long story short, her dad calls me and tells me to stay away form her or they will go to the police. He said they won't go, but I have a bad feeling and am nervous about it everyday. In the event they decide to press charges, what am I looking at? I have no criminal background at all and have made some poor choices.

Attorney Answers 1


The penalty for terroristic threatening depends on the level of the charge. It can be an "A" misdemeanor or a "D" felony. Terroristic threatening in the First Degree is a class D felony with a maximum prison sentence of six years. Terroristic threatening in the second degree is an A misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail. Should you receive a call from the police asking you to come in to talk to them do not go without an attorney with you, and of course if you are arrested do not say a word without an attorney there to protect your rights. Thank you for service, there are a lot programs available through the VA to help if you might be experiencing PTSD, and there are Veteran Treatment Courts for vets that find themselves in trouble with the law, be sure to check out your options.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees




Would it be likely that I would go to prison/jail given the fact I've got no criminal history at all? What is the statute of limitations on this

Kathryn L. Hudson

Kathryn L. Hudson


There are no guarantees but an attorney can negotiate with the prosecutor to get the best outcome, with no prior history and your military background I would hope probation would be the likely resolution.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics