What is the penalty for getting my vehicle inspected a month late in NJ?

Union, NJ |

I just realized today that I forgot to get my vehicle inspected last month. I've been busy and forgot. My vehicle is a 2004 vehicle and was supposed to be inspected last month. There's nothing wrong with the car. I'm wondering if I will be penalized at the inspection station for being a month late? Should I get the vehicle privately inspected?

Go get the car inspected as soon as possible. There are no penalties unless you are cited by a police officer. If your car fails inspection you will be given a reasonable period of time to make inspections. So long as you get the repairs done and get the car reinspected before the red re-inspection sticker date a police officer will not write a ticket.

Jim Schroeder is licensed to practice law in New Jersey and the District of Columbia. All information provided here is for educational purposes and does not create an attorney client relationship. Q&A on sites like Avvo are not designed to give specific legal advise but to educate legal consumers so they can be better prepared to work with any attorney they choose to retain. Information on this site by Mr. Schroeder is offered to that end.

I went to the Newark, NJ inspection station last Saturday and passed with flying colors! It was the last Saturday of the month, so it took an hour to wait in line. The line got longer after I left. It didn't seem like they were doing that strenuous of an inspection with that many cars backed up. Of course the last inspector encountered computer problems when my car was up so he had to get a supervisor. Thank you to all for your time and advice!

As a follow up, a fellow car owner on line in Newark told me that he brought in an old ladies car for her and it was 6 months late. It passed with no problems.

I don't know for NJ, but in most states, it is not a problem. You may have to sign something saying that you haven't gotten any tickets. You might have a small surcharge, but I'd be surprised. Best to just take it in. If there is a penalty, it isn't going down while you wait.

I'm not your attorney; my answer to your question includes assumptions. If you want me to be your attorney, I'm easy to find.

i am almost certain that if you are not stopped by police and issued a ticket you are OK. A recent client had the same p[roblem and went to DMV and was just put through. His car failed and it was tagged accordingly but still no ticket. He did not have time to fix it and could get a ticket anytime but DMV did not act at the inspection station. I do not know if DMV will send you something in the mail I doubt it. Private inspection is safest but I think unnecessary. But as i said i am not completely sure.

I also am unaware of any penalty having had the same experience personally. I was able to get the car inspected with no issues. However, if you bring the car into a state inspection service it is possible they may be more likely to find a reason to find a reason to fail inspection even if it is for a minor issue, but that is simply my opinion.

DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you have entered into a fee agreement with the Law Office of Anthony J. Van Zwaren, P.C. and have paid the required fees. The information contained in this email may be privileged. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information contained within it by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments from your system and notify us.

I'm going early this Saturday to get it inspected. In the meantime, I won't be driving it. It did cross my mind that they may be more restrictive with the inspection, but it is month's end. I figure I'll be doing some waiting on line. I'll post what happens. Thanks to all.