What is the penalty for getting my vehicle inspected a month late in NJ?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Union, NJ

I just realized today that I forgot to get my vehicle inspected last month. I've been busy and forgot. My vehicle is a 2004 vehicle and was supposed to be inspected last month. There's nothing wrong with the car. I'm wondering if I will be penalized at the inspection station for being a month late? Should I get the vehicle privately inspected?

1. James Edward Schroeder III

1

Best Answer

Answered . Go get the car inspected as soon as possible. There are no penalties unless you are cited by a police officer. If your car fails inspection you will be given a reasonable period of time to make inspections. So long as you get the repairs done and get the car reinspected before the red re-inspection sticker date a police officer will not write a ticket.

2. Mark M Cheser

Pro

Answered . i am almost certain that if you are not stopped by police and issued a ticket you are OK. A recent client had the same p[roblem and went to DMV and was just put through. His car failed and it was tagged accordingly but still no ticket. He did not have time to fix it and could get a ticket anytime but DMV did not act at the inspection station. I do not know if DMV will send you something in the mail I doubt it. Private inspection is safest but I think unnecessary. But as i said i am not completely sure.

3. Anthony J Van Zwaren

Pro

Answered . I also am unaware of any penalty having had the same experience personally. I was able to get the car inspected with no issues. However, if you bring the car into a state inspection service it is possible they may be more likely to find a reason to find a reason to fail inspection even if it is for a minor issue, but that is simply my opinion.

4. Warren Vincent Norred

Pro

Answered . I don't know for NJ, but in most states, it is not a problem. You may have to sign something saying that you haven't gotten any tickets. You might have a small surcharge, but I'd be surprised. Best to just take it in. If there is a penalty, it isn't going down while you wait.

5. Warren Vincent Norred

Pro