What is the penalty for driving an unregistered/uninsured and expired inspection vehicle?

Asked over 4 years ago - Worcester, MA

I am a international graduate student, I was pulled over by driving an uninsuranced and revoked vehicle. I did have insurance and register my car before, but it was expired on december.
After I got tickets, I re-insurance and registered my vehicle again. now I have to go to court. I dont have any tickets or records before in MA, I am really worry about going to the court. what is the penalty for this? will I get a criminal record? 

1. Dominic L. Pang

Answered . A conviction for uninsured operation (a criminal charge) carries a maximum penalty of not more than 1 year in the House of Corrections and/or a fine of not less than $500 to not more than $1000, plus a license suspension of 60 days (plus the RMV reinstatement fee that must be paid to get your license back). Unregistered motor vehicle is a civil motor vehicle infraction (CMVI) that carries a $100 fine for a first-offense and does not carry a possibility of jail time.

If you are arraigned on the criminal charge, it will appear on your Board of Probation record (aka a BOP of CORI), regardless of how the charge is ultimately resolved. You should bring proof to your court date that you have since insured and registered your car. An attorney can also help in disposing of this matter prior to any arraignment, so that the charge does not appear on your record. Given your non-citizen status, maintaining your clean criminal record would be helpful in future immigration situations.

Please feel free to contact my office with any questions you may have.

Best of luck,

2. Michael Anthony DelSignore

Pro

Answered . Go to court showing that the car is registered and insured. There is a good chance they will dismiss the case on the payment of court costs, typically 100 or 200 dollars.

3. Michael Anthony DelSignore

Pro

4. Henry Lebensbaum

Answered . I would not worry.

With a clean record, and proof of insurance and registration it will be usually be dismissed on costs that can range between 200-450$