What is the penalty for collecting unemployment while working in NV?

Asked over 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

Went back to work full time but still collected benefits for a few months. I am ready to pay back everything that was overpaid. Will I be charged with fraud or face jail time if I pay back the money in full?

1. Thomas D. Boley

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . You could be charged with a felony, but often they offer to settle for repayment of the benefits. But, a zealous prosecutor could easily convict you of a crime here, so step lightly. Ultimately, do not incriminate yourself. Contacting the unemployment board to do the right thing would be a mistake because you could end up losing your ability to receive unemployment benefits in the future.

2. Ryan Alexander

Pro

1

1

Answered . As Tom mentioned, the likely result is that you will incur penalties and fees for fraudulent collection of unemployment. This is not dischargeable in bankruptcy, either. You can also be charged criminally, although they will be more merciful if you do pay it back in full, and if you are proactive and pay it without any complaint against you they are not likely to do so.

Clark County, Nevada practitioner.
  3. Carlos Blumberg

Answered . Before you do anything, you should consult privetly with a criminal defense attorney. Sometimes they can arrange a plea deal before you are actually charged with these federal crimes. Thank you and I wish you the best of luck!