What is the penalty for 7,000 dollars in forged checks

Bartlesville, OK |

The checks were stolen from me and they wrote $7,000 in bad checks after the account had been closed for a month then they made counterfiet checks on my account and put their name and information on them

1. Did you file a police report when the checks were stolen? If not, you need to do that ASAP. The next thing you need to do is hire a local attorney to represent you on the check charges. I do not practice in OK, but in NC bad checks in that about would be a very serious offense.

2. If you did not authorize the checks and did not sign them and did not know it was going on, then you should not be responsible. That said, you may have to prove it so get ready. If someone is talking about pressing criminal charges against you, then you should immediately talk to an attorney who handles criminal law cases. If you are wondering what someone else might be charged with for doing this to you, don't worry - it's a lot and it's their problem and not your's. If you have any doubt about the situation, then you should not talk to anyone until you meet with a local criminal law attorney, explain everything, ask all your questions and get good advice on what your legal rights are - and are not. But don't wait, act quickly because for every legal right that exists there is only a limited amount of time for you to do something about it.

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Click the link to find a Consumer Law attorney near you.