What is the Ohio Revised Code if I want to see all records at a Amvets post that is 501(c)non profit

Asked 5 months ago - Athens, OH

I'm a member at my local Amvet post but they keep denying me to see the books such as cable, internet, phone, electric, insurance payments and etc. Were a 501(c) non-profit organization. There is no bylaws or constitutions that says anything that a member cant look at the books at all. So there trying to make it hard on me, so is there like a Ohio Revised Code and/or Federal Code would allow me to look at the books or not?

Since there is a lot of turmoil since I have been asking to look at the books. Would my lawyer be allowed to request certain records that I would like to look at? I know if I went to the post to look at the books front of certain Amvet officers and I left that it would turn into a mess such as that I was being disrespectful, rude, and out of line. I just don't want to put my self in the matter where they could make false statements about my behavior and have a special meeting for the actions, than lose my membership to the post.

Thanks

1. Mark Eugene Barbour

Pro

Answered . It depends on what being a member means. Its a private entity.

2. Christopher Brian Murphy

Answered . I agree with the first response - what do you mean by being a "member." Being a "member" means different things. Are you defined to be a "member" by the bylaws/constitution? If so, then yes, you should be able to rely upon the section of the Revised Code referenced above.

3. Jonathan B. Lefkowitz

Answered . See here - http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/1702.15