What is the Ohio Revised Code if I want to see all records at a Amvets post that is 501(c)non profit

Athens, OH |

I'm a member at my local Amvet post but they keep denying me to see the books such as cable, internet, phone, electric, insurance payments and etc. Were a 501(c) non-profit organization. There is no bylaws or constitutions that says anything that a member cant look at the books at all. So there trying to make it hard on me, so is there like a Ohio Revised Code and/or Federal Code would allow me to look at the books or not?

Since there is a lot of turmoil since I have been asking to look at the books. Would my lawyer be allowed to request certain records that I would like to look at? I know if I went to the post to look at the books front of certain Amvet officers and I left that it would turn into a mess such as that I was being disrespectful, rude, and out of line. I just don't want to put my self in the matter where they could make false statements about my behavior and have a special meeting for the actions, than lose my membership to the post. Thanks

1. It depends on what being a member means. Its a private entity.

This response does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Legal problems and solutions depend on their unique facts. Due to the complexity and ever-changing nature of the law and to the limitations of this forum, this information may not be complete or adequate for your specific situation. Laws and regulations often differ from one jurisdiction to another. Mark E. Barbour practices in the State of Ohio.

2. I agree with the first response - what do you mean by being a "member." Being a "member" means different things. Are you defined to be a "member" by the bylaws/constitution? If so, then yes, you should be able to rely upon the section of the Revised Code referenced above.

Anything information in the foregoing response is general information only and is not intended to be legal advice. Responding to questions on www.avvo.com does not form an attorney-client relationship.