What is the official start date of a lease, when you sign the lease or when the rent starts?

Floral City, FL |

I signed my lease February 23rd.
My lease states April 1st is the start date for rent.
When does my lease start. My landlord says February 23, I say April 1st.

1. Without any sarcasm intended: When your lease says it starts.

You and the LL were contractually bound to one another when you both signed. That does not confer physical possession.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

2. Usually what the lease says is the start date absent some other document to the contrary or some earlier date where possession is taken.

3. Neither the date of the signing of the lease nor the day rent payment is first due governs. As my colleague stated, the lease itself provides the dates.

Example: I could sign a lease today which requires me to pay rent on January 15, 2014 for a lease term that starts February 1, 2014.

Now, if the lease is silent on the start and end dates.....another story. But first look to the writing.

I hope you found this response to be helpful. If so, your clicking "helpful" and/or "best answer" helps my Avvo rating and would be appreciated. This answer shall not be considered rendering legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. Avvo is a wonderful resource but nothing can substitute for an in-depth consultation face-to-face with a lawyer. The response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.