What is the normal processing time for an I-130 if I file for my brother?

Staten Island, NY |

My brother lives in Pakistan and I want to file an I-130 for him. He has never been to United States. What will be the normal processing time for the petition.

1. Processing time for the I-130 itself is as estimated on the USCIS website.

However, your brother will then need to wait for his priority date to become current. Based on current priority dates, that is likely to take over 10 years.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

2. See this helpful link: http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html

3. I agree with my colleague. Although the I-130 may be approved quickly, he will still have to wait for the priority date to become current.

You should still file as soon as possible, just to make the processing time even one day shorter.

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics