What is the normal procedure/process of pa restraining order hearings?

Asked over 1 year ago - Philadelphia, PA

what is the normal procedure/process of pa restraining order hearings? if someone places restraining order against me (its not me, but for examples sake) and i get served with the hearing time date info etc. what should i expect to occur at this hearing and what happens if i do not show up?

1. Lidia L. Alperovich

Pro

Answered . If you do not show up, a PFA will be issued against you

2. Kathryn L. Hilbush

Pro

Answered . Assuming you're talking about a Protection from Abuse order, the procedure is to file a petition under the Act, have a judge review it, serve it on the other party,and go to the court hearing. If you're a defendant in such a case, and you've been served but don't come to the court hearing, just as my colleague said, you'll likely have an order entered against you.

3. Karen Lynn DeMarco

Answered . Pennsylvania does not have restraining orders. We have Protection from Abuse orders. At a hearing you will be given the opportunity to enter into an agreement or present your side of the story. A judge will then decide whether the petitioner has presented sufficient evidence that a PFA is warranted.

If you have been served and you do not show up, you risk that a final PFA will be granted against you and a warrant may be issued for your arrest.

You can learn more about the PFA process here: http://www.theharrisburglawyers.com/2013/02/pfa...