What is the normal penalty for driving on a suspended license in Florida?

Clearwater, FL |

1st offense, I did have a business purpose license, the office never told me why he pulled me over.

Typically, if you obtain a driver's license, your attorney should be able to convince the prosecutor to either drop the charge entirely or at least reduce the charge to No Valid DL.

The importance of reducing the charge is that if you are found guilty of 3 DUS charges within a 5 year period (or any combination of 3 DUS and DUI charges within a 5 year period) your driver's license will be suspended for a period of 5 years. Being found guilty of Driving without a Valid Driver's License does not trigger this penalty.

There is the possibility you could receive jail time for DUS, although in most cases this is pretty unlikely (as is probation).

If the officer did not have a valid reason for stopping you, it may be possible to get your case dismissed regardless of whether you currently have a valid license. You should really speak with a criminal defense attorney about your case. It should not be prohibitively expensive to hire someone to handle your case.

It really depends on why your license was suspended.

If it was suspended because of a DUI arrest or conviction then you may be looking at some jail.

I would recommend contacting a criminal attorney in Clearwater to help you sort out this problem. If you need a Clearwater attorney recommendation, please feel free to contact me.

Best of luck.