What is the next step if the Plaintiff does not comply with Defendant's request for documents and interrogatories?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Whitman, MA

The order after pretrial conference states discovery should be completed by a certain date. That was almost 2 weeks ago and still have not received documents or answers. What should I do?

1. Adam William Vella

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . Send a certified letter to them asking when you can expect to receive the materials requested. If still no response, file a motion to compel with the court.

2. Philip W. Mason

Pro

3

1

Answered . I concur with attorney Vella, but would recommend that you add to your motion to compel a demand for sanctions and attorney fees, and possibly a motion to dismiss (depending on the case).

3. Christopher W. Vaughn-Martel

2

Answered . You actually have a number of options here depending on the circumstances. You will first want to make a documented effort to bridge any areas of disagreement with the other party. If that does not work, you have the right to a dismissal procedure under Rule 33(a) concerning Interrogatories. You also have the right to bring a motion to compel in both instances. If your case is important to you, now may be a good idea to retain counsel and protect your interests.

4. Gary S. Sinclair

Answered . I agree with Attorney's Mason and Vella and would ask, where is your attorney and how come he or she isn't answering these questions for you? Best of luck!