What is the next step after a DNA test is complete in a marriage based immigration case?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Mountain View, CA

I am a US citizen and my husband is overseas. Recently my husband had a DNA testing to help verify the biological relationship with my son. The test is complete and has been sent to the US Embassy overseas. The test confirms that my husband is my son’s biological father. Usually what is the next step in the immigration process to get a visa for a spouse?

Additional information

I beleive it's the end stage of the process since the interview was completed a year ago. I spoke to two lawyers in September and was told there isn't a need for a lawyer since the case is in the administrative processing stage (name check background check).

Attorney answers (3)

  1. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Depends on what stage of the process the case is in.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  2. Jeffrey N Lisnow

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . It really depends where the case is at this point in time.

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The answer(s) given are only to be deemed general in nature as all of the facts of your case... more
  3. Tsirina Goroshit

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Agree with other respectful answers.

    The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Laws change... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,493 answers this week

3,220 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,493 answers this week

3,220 attorneys answering