What is the next step? Should I hire my own Attorney

Asked almost 2 years ago - Jamaica, NY

I was arrested last May for assault in the 3rd degree in Suffolk county NY. I was technically not involved with the assault just the person that was hit. I was arrested on scene and was not able to give a complete statement. Once i arrived for arraignment there was still no complete statement from myself. I reside in queens county. I have been going to court since May. I am currently out on Bail. I hold a full time job and I am raising Two children. I have never been arrested for assault before. I am not a violent person. I recently went court where they changed my Legal aide and judge of the case. I am told we are going to trial but was not given further details. I don't know what is happening now or what will happen in the future because i only see the lawyer on court dates.

1. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

5

Answered . Assault in the 3rd degree is a misdemeanor, and if this is a first offense, it is likely to be pleaded down. If you can afford a private attorney, you should hire one.

2. John M. Cromwell

Pro

4

Answered . YES! You must have an attorney who has time to explain what is going on , and who has the time to investigate your case and prepare you properly for trial. For whatever reason, it sounds like you are not getting that at this point. Don't wait any longer! Penny wise, pound foolish.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . It sounds like you need a lawyer who will fight for you and keep you in the loop.

4. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

3

Answered . You must hire an attorney if you can afford one. The facts of the case must be fleshed out and you must be given good advice before making a decision on whether to go to trial.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

5. Michael Dreishpoon

Pro

3

Answered . Things tend to move slow out in Central Islip; nevertheless, your matter should've been resolved by now. There are only 2 ways to dispose of this matter: trial or a plea deal. Most people who can afford to hire an attorney do so because they want to choose who will be their legal mouthpiece (rather than getting the luck of the draw with Legal Aid). I've been helping people in your exact situation for 22 years and often handle cases in Suffolk County.
    Michael Dreishpoon
    718-793-5555