What is the next step? Should I hire my own Attorney

Jamaica, NY |

I was arrested last May for assault in the 3rd degree in Suffolk county NY. I was technically not involved with the assault just the person that was hit. I was arrested on scene and was not able to give a complete statement. Once i arrived for arraignment there was still no complete statement from myself. I reside in queens county. I have been going to court since May. I am currently out on Bail. I hold a full time job and I am raising Two children. I have never been arrested for assault before. I am not a violent person. I recently went court where they changed my Legal aide and judge of the case. I am told we are going to trial but was not given further details. I don't know what is happening now or what will happen in the future because i only see the lawyer on court dates.

1. You must hire an attorney if you can afford one. The facts of the case must be fleshed out and you must be given good advice before making a decision on whether to go to trial.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

2. YES! You must have an attorney who has time to explain what is going on , and who has the time to investigate your case and prepare you properly for trial. For whatever reason, it sounds like you are not getting that at this point. Don't wait any longer! Penny wise, pound foolish.

3. It sounds like you need a lawyer who will fight for you and keep you in the loop.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

4. Assault in the 3rd degree is a misdemeanor, and if this is a first offense, it is likely to be pleaded down. If you can afford a private attorney, you should hire one.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

5. Things tend to move slow out in Central Islip; nevertheless, your matter should've been resolved by now. There are only 2 ways to dispose of this matter: trial or a plea deal. Most people who can afford to hire an attorney do so because they want to choose who will be their legal mouthpiece (rather than getting the luck of the draw with Legal Aid). I've been helping people in your exact situation for 22 years and often handle cases in Suffolk County.
    Michael Dreishpoon
    718-793-5555