What is the most probable punishment for failing a drug test while on probation?

Asked over 4 years ago - Augusta, GA

i am on probation in richmond county georgia, i have never violated probation since being put on probation. i am already enrolled in alcohol and drug treatment (my first class is tomorrow).

1. Richard H. Goolsby

Pro

Answered . I agree with the other responses, but I will add that generally it is important that you cooperate fully with your probation officer and if you are concerned that your probation might be subject to revocation, it is equally important that you contact and consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney. I hope things have worked out okay for you and wish you the best!

2. John M. Kaman

Pro

Answered . I see many questions on avvo in which people want to do what is going to happen to them because of such and such an offense or parole violation. In truth no one except your lawyer can even give you an approximate answer to that question because it depends on so many variables: your state’s laws and procedures, your criminal history if any, whether there are any sentencing enhancements, whether your state has diversion programs for your offense. These kinds of questions really require that you contact a local lawyer and even then they can only give you a range.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Many people post questions asking about their chances in court. No one online can validly predict what the future holds. The subject penalties may be based on a myriad of reasons. Many factors such as age, prosecutor discretion, what judge you have, whether witnesses are credible all matter and that makes it near impossible to say what "does he get". I agree with the wise observations of my colleage Mr. Kaman.

Check with a GA lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.