What is the most common sanction when breaching parenting time orders? Judge never ordered to pay legal fees so far only makeup

Asked 5 months ago - Denville, NJ

My ex is a recurrent offender when comes to respecting my parenting time specially holidays. I have taken her to court for same issues almost like 4 times in 3 years. Judges do NOTHING, just ordered to make up days, so for them is OK to celebrate Christmas on a diff day! . Few days ago; her condition was that she has personal plans and she wants me to babysit, if I say no; then she will not give my son for my bday which is my HOLIday per court papers and this is how it went. I have her emails as proof. I had brought lawyers asking for legal fees unsuccessfully. I cant afford another 2.5K to get nothing in return. Is making up the most common order?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Jason Flynn

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . Making up the time is very common. Courts generally prefer for the parties to resolve the matter on their own without running to Court each time the schedule needs to change. It is not clear if you have had an attorney for only part or the entire time of the past 3 years. However, since this has been an ongoing problem, you may wish to consult with an experienced family law attorney.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Visitation schedule in child custody

A visitation schedule is set up by parents after the custody situation is determined. Parents will want to decide on a day-to-day schedule and holiday visits.

Margaret P. Murphy

Missouri: Summer Custody Plans

Ahh, summer time.For children its that magical time of the year when they are off school.For divorced parents it can be a switch in the usual custody plan.Every parenting plan has different... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,397 answers this week

2,930 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,397 answers this week

2,930 attorneys answering