What is the minimum review period for a severance agreement in NJ for an at will employee (President)

Asked over 2 years ago - Morristown, NJ

Severance agreement gives 5 day review period. This seems too short a time frame.

1. Benjamin G Kelsen

2

Answered . There is no minimum period designated by statute. If you have questions you should contact an attorney as soon as possible. It is also possible that an attorney may be able to enter into negotiations for you with the company to address areas of concern.

2. Matthew R Schutz

1

Answered . There is no legally mandated review period. I am unclear on several points. What is the review period for? In rereading your post, is it to reveiw the severence agreement? Do you currently have a contract? If so when does it expire?

Generally speaking, the review period is probably extendable, especially if you want an attorney. Please call 908 391 5399

3. Martin L Bearg

1

Answered . As my colleagues have indicated, your employer has given you a deadline in order to get your matter closed, and with the hope you will not seek legal counsel. There is no obligation to provide you with a severance package, but it may be paid to be fair as well as to pay consideration so that the agreement you sign can be enforced.

I am not an employment attorney, if you would like to consult one, you can contact Kenneth Wallach at 973-994-7901 or John Norton at 973-544-8660. Both are located in Livingston.

The foregoing is not intended to be legal advice upon which you may rely as I have not been retained for this purpose.