What is the minimum and maximum sentence for Trespassing?

Asked over 1 year ago - Vancouver, WA

My husband was charged with trespassing in a house owned by a bank.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Lennard Anthony Nahajski

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is likely he is being charged with First Degree Criminal Trespass, as he is being accused of trespassing inside a building. The maximum penalty is one year in jail, a $5,000 fine and two years probation. If the prosecutors believe he was intending to commit another crime while inside, he could be charged with the class C felony of Second Degree Burglary, which carries a standard sentencing range of up to 90 days in jail (assuming this is his first felony).

    Regardless of whether he is being charged with a misdemeanor or felony, he needs to retain an experienced criminal defense attorney right away.

  2. Beau D. Harlan


    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree. Criminal Trespass in the First Degree is a gross misdemeanor. Maximum sentence is 364 days and or $5,000 fine. No statutory minimum sentence.

  3. James D. Laukkonen


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . If you are the same person who posted the other questions about adverse possession, then the larger concern is the Residential Burglary charge, not the trespass.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,218 answers this week

3,052 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,218 answers this week

3,052 attorneys answering