What is the minimum and maximum sentence for Trespassing?

Asked over 1 year ago - Vancouver, WA

My husband was charged with trespassing in a house owned by a bank.

1. Lennard Anthony Nahajski

4

Answered . It is likely he is being charged with First Degree Criminal Trespass, as he is being accused of trespassing inside a building. The maximum penalty is one year in jail, a $5,000 fine and two years probation. If the prosecutors believe he was intending to commit another crime while inside, he could be charged with the class C felony of Second Degree Burglary, which carries a standard sentencing range of up to 90 days in jail (assuming this is his first felony).

Regardless of whether he is being charged with a misdemeanor or felony, he needs to retain an experienced criminal defense attorney right away.

2. Beau D. Harlan

Pro

2

Answered . I agree. Criminal Trespass in the First Degree is a gross misdemeanor. Maximum sentence is 364 days and or $5,000 fine. No statutory minimum sentence.

3. James D. Laukkonen

Pro

Answered . If you are the same person who posted the other questions about adverse possession, then the larger concern is the Residential Burglary charge, not the trespass.