What is the minimum amount of hours you can be Scheduled in a day? Can you be told to clock out and go home if it is slow?

Asked 10 months ago - Jackson, CA

Employee of McDonald's. Open availability. Getting scheduled 3 hrs/day. Being told to clock out and go home after working 1 1/2 hrs. Not asked but told. Told to clock out and finish working.

1. Neil Pedersen

3

Answered . You can be scheduled to work a few hours or minutes as the employer wants to employ you. You do not even have to be scheduled. You can just go in when the employer calls.

There is a concept called reporting time that requires an employer to pay you for at least half of your scheduled shift if you are sent home early. This only applies if you first show up, and then are sent home after you show up for work. If you are being scheduled 3 hours and you are being sent home after half of that shift, you will not be entitled to reporting time.

Good luck to you.

2. Patrick John Phillips

3

Answered . There is no limit to how many or few hours you can be scheduled to work and no minimum notice for scheduling changes. That said, Mr. Pederson correctly raises the issue of "reporting time pay," which may apply if you are sent home before working at least half of your regularly scheduled shift. The Department of Industrial Relations has written a very informative article about reporting time pay here: http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_reportingtimepay... Good luck.

http://www.johnphillipslaw.com

3. Marilynn Mika Spencer

2

Answered . I agree with Mr. Pedersen and Mr. Phillips with respect to the law. On a practical note, clearly this is not a job you can depend on, so I hope you are already looking for alternate employment. You might talk to your manager and let him or her know that you are eager to work more hours, and ask what you can do to get them.

I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best.