What is the Michigan Law on dog attacks/killing dogs after the attacks? What are the owners legal rights?

Asked about 1 year ago - Grand Rapids, MI

Two unleashed large dogs attacked a leashed small dog who died. This attacked occurred in the small
dog's yard and was witnessed by the owner. The owner of the small dog is emotionally stressed out from this ordeal.
l.

Pro

4

Answered . Submit the claim to the owner's homeowner's insurance carrier.

2. Gerald R Stahl

Pro

1

Answered . I am a dog lover, and I can imagine that the owner is experiencing emotional distress. Unfortunately I know of know court that allows damages for an animals pain and suffering. So, you can sue for vet bills and the value of the dog. Sorry for your loss.

3. Keith G Langer

1

Answered . The owner of the victim dog can send a demand letter to the owner(s) of the attacking dogs and, when that letter is ignored, bring an action in small claims court for vet costs and the value of the dog. There is no cause of action for emotional distress at this time.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.