What is the meaning for dismissed case?

Asked about 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

I helped my friend in his restaurant as a waiter. I got arrest by the police and I was fingerprinted and photographed because I forgot to check the ID of the customer before I brought two bottle of Beer. Actually it was "sting" action of the police. They issued me a ticket for selling alcohol to a minor and asked me to go to court. I went to the court and
the judge asked me to do 16 hours community service. After I finished the community service hours, I went to the court again and the judge dismissed my case and told me my background was clean. I didn't say anything and did nothing on the court. what does dismissed case mean? Does it mean I plead guilty?

1. Judy A. Goldstein

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . It appears that your were given a sentence of supervisions, which is not a conviction. After you completed your community service, your case was dismissed. If you are unclear about the results of your case,you should consult with an attorney who will be better able to learn the facts and tell you for sure.

2. Stephen L. Richards

Pro

3

1

Answered . It means you have no conviction, but if you want it off your record you will have to get it expunged.

Steve Richards

3. Barry Cahn Boykin

1

1

Answered . In Illinois, the court may enter an order of supervision. After the period has been completed there will be a judgment of dismissal in certain cases.

The statute in part reads:
    730 ILCS 5/5‑6‑3.1

...
    ... (e) At the conclusion of the period of supervision, if the court determines that the defendant has successfully complied with all of the conditions of supervision, the court shall discharge the defendant and enter a judgment dismissing the charges.

What really spelled it out was when the judge ordered the community service. The papers issued on that date should elaborate the terms. Upon successful completion of the community service required, then the dismissal was entered. It does not mean that there was a plea or any other disposition other than what the order says.