What is the meaning for dismissed case?

Chicago, IL |

I helped my friend in his restaurant as a waiter. I got arrest by the police and I was fingerprinted and photographed because I forgot to check the ID of the customer before I brought two bottle of Beer. Actually it was "sting" action of the police. They issued me a ticket for selling alcohol to a minor and asked me to go to court. I went to the court and
the judge asked me to do 16 hours community service. After I finished the community service hours, I went to the court again and the judge dismissed my case and told me my background was clean. I didn't say anything and did nothing on the court. what does dismissed case mean? Does it mean I plead guilty?

It appears that your were given a sentence of supervisions, which is not a conviction. After you completed your community service, your case was dismissed. If you are unclear about the results of your case,you should consult with an attorney who will be better able to learn the facts and tell you for sure.

In Illinois, the court may enter an order of supervision. After the period has been completed there will be a judgment of dismissal in certain cases.

The statute in part reads:
730 ILCS 5/5‑6‑3.1

...
... (e) At the conclusion of the period of supervision, if the court determines that the defendant has successfully complied with all of the conditions of supervision, the court shall discharge the defendant and enter a judgment dismissing the charges.

What really spelled it out was when the judge ordered the community service. The papers issued on that date should elaborate the terms. Upon successful completion of the community service required, then the dismissal was entered. It does not mean that there was a plea or any other disposition other than what the order says.

The information provided here should not be construed to be formal legal advice. The provision of this general advice does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Persons with legal questions are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice regarding their individual legal issues.

my case happened in August 2010. I haven't received anything from court.

Barry Cahn Boykin

Barry Cahn Boykin

There should be paperwork from August 2010. The court record should be available for review in the Criminal Division, Daley Center, 10th floor for Chicago cases.

yes. I have a certified statement from cook county court to proof my case is dismissed based on I finished the community service hours. Does it mean I don't have criminal record on my background?

Joshua Sachs

Joshua Sachs

You have an arrest record even though the case was dismissed. Based on what you have told us, however, you can petition to have the record expunged. Here is a link to the State Appellate Defender's expungement web site: http://www.state.il.us/defender/exp.html. The expungement procedure was designed to be easy enough to follow without a lawyer. Sometimes it is; sometimes it isn't. If you decide you would like to have a lawyer handle it for you, I am sure any of us on Avvo would be happy to help you.

It means you have no conviction, but if you want it off your record you will have to get it expunged.

Steve Richards

After I get it expunged, does it mean nobody can get my record any more?