What is the meaning a spindled motion, or to spindle a motion?

Chicago, IL |

Is motion spindle the same as giving notice of a motion to be heard on a date?

Mr. Thomas is right, it's a term that the clerk uses to set a motion for a hearing date. The term comes from the old way that the clerk would organize the motion dates on "spindles." I imagine something like the link below. It is NOT the same as giving notice of the motion. Once the motion is filed and spindled for a date, notice of the motion and hearing date must be sent to the other side.

Is there a fee?

Alexander Mchenry Memmen

Alexander Mchenry Memmen

Usually no fee to file and spindle a motion. Unless it is a motion to vacate a judgment, etc. Most motions are free. You are best bringing your checkbook with you to the clerk's office, just in case.

Thanks. So, any spindled motion must be first filed in room 802 (Daley Center) before it can be heard in court, right? Can motions intended for chancery law division be filed at the Rolling Meadows' courthouse?

Alexander Mchenry Memmen

Alexander Mchenry Memmen

Your first sentence is correct. Beyond that, I would recommend making an appointment to discuss with an attorney.

I'll just schedule it at 802 and send a courtesy copy to the judge. Any word on when e-file will be available for filing chancery cases?

Cook County Circuit Court calls setting up a motion for hearing as a "Motion Spindled". This isn't a true legal term, but rather, terminology used by the Clerk's office within the computer system. Trust your paperwork that you receive and do not rely on the computer system.

This response is being provided for information purposes only and does not constitute an attorney client relationship. Furthermore, I am only licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois. While there are oftentimes similarities between States' laws, there can also be large differences. You should not rely on this response as legal advice and are highly encouraged to speak to an attorney licensed in your State for an accurate legal answer.

Spindling a motion means reserving a court date.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes