What is the meaning a spindled motion, or to spindle a motion?

Chicago, IL |

Is motion spindle the same as giving notice of a motion to be heard on a date?

Mr. Thomas is right, it's a term that the clerk uses to set a motion for a hearing date. The term comes from the old way that the clerk would organize the motion dates on "spindles." I imagine something like the link below. It is NOT the same as giving notice of the motion. Once the motion is filed and spindled for a date, notice of the motion and hearing date must be sent to the other side.

2. Cook County Circuit Court calls setting up a motion for hearing as a "Motion Spindled". This isn't a true legal term, but rather, terminology used by the Clerk's office within the computer system. Trust your paperwork that you receive and do not rely on the computer system.

This response is being provided for information purposes only and does not constitute an attorney client relationship. Furthermore, I am only licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois. While there are oftentimes similarities between States' laws, there can also be large differences. You should not rely on this response as legal advice and are highly encouraged to speak to an attorney licensed in your State for an accurate legal answer.

3. Spindling a motion means reserving a court date.