What is the maximum time an inmate has to wait to be indicted on a state charge?

Asked 11 months ago - Abilene, TX

My family member has been in the county jail for 2 months waiting for indictment and we don't have the money for bond. He just wants it over with.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Bart Charles Craytor

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . The maximum time the state has is until the statute of limitations expires for that particular offense, which could be years. There is help/hope for your situation however. After 90 days he is entitled to a bond reduction and if the state does not have it indicted within 180 days, he is entitled to have the charge dismissed or being released on a bond he can afford. (I generally recommend the latter because it keeps the defendant from being arrested again if the state does eventually get an indictment.) Each case is different as is each court. A criminal defense attorney can assist in these proceedings. Good Luck

    Answers provided on Avvo does not form an attorney-client relationship or indicate that the attorney represents or... more
  2. JaPaula C Kemp

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Attorney Craytor has laid it out well. I agree.

    The information provided is not advice but a legal perspective and you should schedule a consultation with the... more
  3. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Specifically, it is the statute of limitations that sets the time limit within which a person can be indicted.

    The statute of limitations is different from any right to a bond reduction due to failure of the state to be ready for felony trial within 90 days, and with a right to a dismissal of a complaint if the case is not indicted by the end of the grand jury term in which the defendant is arrested and jailed (whether or not released on bond) plus the next term of the grand jury.

    If this is a real case, there are several good lawyers in Abilene, including Randy Wilson and Randy Crownover among others.

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,528 answers this week

3,270 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,528 answers this week

3,270 attorneys answering