What is the maximum time an inmate has to wait to be indicted on a state charge?

Abilene, TX |

My family member has been in the county jail for 2 months waiting for indictment and we don't have the money for bond. He just wants it over with.

The maximum time the state has is until the statute of limitations expires for that particular offense, which could be years. There is help/hope for your situation however. After 90 days he is entitled to a bond reduction and if the state does not have it indicted within 180 days, he is entitled to have the charge dismissed or being released on a bond he can afford. (I generally recommend the latter because it keeps the defendant from being arrested again if the state does eventually get an indictment.) Each case is different as is each court. A criminal defense attorney can assist in these proceedings. Good Luck

Answers provided on Avvo does not form an attorney-client relationship or indicate that the attorney represents or even will represent the client. Responses to questions are provided and based upon the facts as stated in the question. While attorneys attempt to make a complete and accurate response, there is no guaranty or warranty that the response is correct. You are encouraged to seek qualified counsel, licensed in the state(s) which have jurisdiction over the matters for advice. You are also encouraged to be careful as to your postings as the postings are not confidential.

2. Attorney Craytor has laid it out well. I agree.

The information provided is not advice but a legal perspective and you should schedule a consultation with the lawyer of your choice.

3. Specifically, it is the statute of limitations that sets the time limit within which a person can be indicted.

The statute of limitations is different from any right to a bond reduction due to failure of the state to be ready for felony trial within 90 days, and with a right to a dismissal of a complaint if the case is not indicted by the end of the grand jury term in which the defendant is arrested and jailed (whether or not released on bond) plus the next term of the grand jury.

If this is a real case, there are several good lawyers in Abilene, including Randy Wilson and Randy Crownover among others.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.