What is the maximum time an inmate has to wait to be indicted on a state charge?

Asked 11 months ago - Abilene, TX

My family member has been in the county jail for 2 months waiting for indictment and we don't have the money for bond. He just wants it over with.

1. Bart Charles Craytor

9

Best Answer

Answered . The maximum time the state has is until the statute of limitations expires for that particular offense, which could be years. There is help/hope for your situation however. After 90 days he is entitled to a bond reduction and if the state does not have it indicted within 180 days, he is entitled to have the charge dismissed or being released on a bond he can afford. (I generally recommend the latter because it keeps the defendant from being arrested again if the state does eventually get an indictment.) Each case is different as is each court. A criminal defense attorney can assist in these proceedings. Good Luck

2. JaPaula C Kemp

4

Answered . Attorney Craytor has laid it out well. I agree.

3. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

1

Answered . Specifically, it is the statute of limitations that sets the time limit within which a person can be indicted.

The statute of limitations is different from any right to a bond reduction due to failure of the state to be ready for felony trial within 90 days, and with a right to a dismissal of a complaint if the case is not indicted by the end of the grand jury term in which the defendant is arrested and jailed (whether or not released on bond) plus the next term of the grand jury.

If this is a real case, there are several good lawyers in Abilene, including Randy Wilson and Randy Crownover among others.