What is the maximum sentence for a charge of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree

New York, NY |
Filed under: Criminal charges

i had a butterfly knife and brass knuckles i cant really afford a lawyer what am i likely to get with a public defender i was just carrying it there was no intent to use

and i was never read my rights

1. 1 year in jail, $1,000 fine and/or 3 years probation.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. What is your prior history and how did police come upon these weapons? Important questions as to your case.

Law Office Office Of Michael Marley
    Phone 917 853 4484

3. Your limited history would suggest little or no jail, but the circumstances will affect the outcome.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

4. The maximum is one year in jail. If you have no record and there are no aggravating circumstances, you probably won't get jail at all. A competent lawyer is a must. Many public defenders are competent, although many are overworked..