Skip to main content

What is the maximum sentence for a charge of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree

New York, NY |

i had a butterfly knife and brass knuckles i cant really afford a lawyer what am i likely to get with a public defender i was just carrying it there was no intent to use

and i was never read my rights

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


1 year in jail, $1,000 fine and/or 3 years probation.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.



what am i likely going to get sentenced with if i have a public defender will i likely get the max ?


What is your prior history and how did police come upon these weapons? Important questions as to your case.

Law Office Office Of Michael Marley
Phone 917 853 4484



i have a disorderly conduct . i was looking at flyers and a cop saw the knife clip in my pocket. i was also never read my rights.

Michael Lewis Marley

Michael Lewis Marley


You should hire an experienced, aggressive attorney you will have confidence in. Many lawyers, including myself, offer free consultations to discuss a case. Law Office Of Michael Marley Phone 917 853 4484


Your limited history would suggest little or no jail, but the circumstances will affect the outcome.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.


The maximum is one year in jail. If you have no record and there are no aggravating circumstances, you probably won't get jail at all. A competent lawyer is a must. Many public defenders are competent, although many are overworked..

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer