Skip to main content

What is the maximum penalty if found guilty of fraud, grand larceny, forgery & conspiracy?

Boston, MA |

A family member conned our senior citizen mother out of a mutual fund ( over $1000.00 ) which I was named a "joint tenant with right of survivorship. He claimed he was me on the phone with the mutual fund holder, ( conversation was recorded ), received a check to a her previous address, then forged my name and my mothers. He also relieved her of $7500.00 for legal services that she never received.

Attorney Answers 2


The right question, however, is why wait to retain an experienced criminal defense attorney to handle that criminal case to the best resolution under the circumstances after reviewing the facts and evidence in this case.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


There is not enough information here to give a complete answer and there are many variables. It can depend on what exact crimes are charged and which level court it proceeds in. For instance if one of the charges is Larceny over $250,although a felony, that charge can be prosecuted at the district court level or indicted to Superior Court. If it is indicted then the max potential punishment is "imprisonment in the state prison for not more than five years, or by a fine of not more than twenty-five thousand dollars," whoever, if it is prosecuted in District Court then the max potential punishment is "imprisonment in jail for not more than two years.” There are various other crimes that are potentially involved in the facts you present, what if anything is charged is up to the police and the District Attorney's Office. However, I will add a civilian also has the option of going to the clerk magistrates office of the local court the crime occurred in and filing an application for complaint as a civilian.

David Newton, Esq.

This is not intended as legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics