What is the maximum penalty for leaving the scene of an accident?

Asked about 2 years ago - Elberton, GA

No injuries. A barbwire fence was the only property damage.

1. Morris Hugh Wiltshire Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . Is your case in Elbert County State Court or in Elberton Municipal Court or somwhere else? You need to speak with a lawyer that is familiar with court sytstem in Elberton and Elbert County. I pratcie in Elbert County of a regular basis and assure you that Leaving the Scene charges are not to be taken lightly you can lose your license, get hit with jail time and a big fine. Call a lawyer wih experinece in the area ASAP.

2. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

1

Answered . Your license can be suspended. You can be fined up to $1000 plus court costs. And you could spend a year in jail. While you could have a lesser sentence, the licenses suspension alone is reason to get legal counsel immediately.

3. Timothy Minthorn Klob

Pro

Answered . I agree with attorney Wiltshire and the other posts that you should seek counsel from a local attorney well versed in both personal injury and criminal law. I wish you all the best.

4. Slade H. Mclaughlin

1

Answered . For a first offense involving leaving the scene of the accident in GA, it is most likely a misdemeanor if there was just property damage and no injuries. You could face fines of up to $1000 dollars and COULD do jail time, although that is HIGHLY unlikely for a first offense. You will get an automatic revocation of your driver's license for 6 months minimum. Contact a lawyer in your area conversants in these issues.... much will depend on the circumstances, the type of vehicle you were driving (car vs. 18 wheeler for instance), why the accident occurred (your carelessness, bad weather, etc), and why you left the scene. Best of luck to you. SHM