What is the maximum penalty for burglary trespassing & theft first offense with no evidence

I was not caught in action because I am not guilty of doing anything I was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time & there's no evidence. it happened mos.ago I was incarcerated & bailed out and I havent went to court . Also they state I was "trespassng" but I was in front of my family's home when arrested . I am very afraid I have a child on the way , my record is clean but this is a felony. I cannot afford a good lawyer how can I prove my innocence and avoid being innocently incarcerated

Jersey City, NJ -

Attorney Answers (3)

Alissa D Hascup

Alissa D Hascup

Criminal Defense Attorney - Paterson, NJ

If you can't afford an attorney, you should apply for the Public Defender ASAP. Burglary is punishable by 3-5 years in prison and although you're not likely to get that as a first time offender, serious charges should be treated seriously.

As a side note, this is a public forum - don't post anything else about your case that could potentially be used against you.

Good luck.


Jeffrey Jose Estrella

Jeffrey Jose Estrella

Foreclosure Attorney - New York, NY

Discuss the case with a lawyer in confidence ASAP. Most lawyers have reasonable sliding scale rates and will work with you on a payment plan. Also, the public defender can qualify you for free services. Act right away on this case.


The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20... more
Matthew C Simon

Matthew C Simon

Criminal Defense Attorney - Parsippany, NJ

This is a serious crime alleged. Borrow money, sell something, etc. - you should get an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you if you cannot get a public defender. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-... more

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.