Skip to main content

What is the maximum amount of time given to repay retroactive child support in Illinois? All the details are below.

Chicago, IL |

20 months passed from the child's birth till my x girlfriend filed a petition for support. 7 additional months went by, from the date of first filing for support/paternity, until case went to court a few times and DNA results were ordered, and then received, and a child support issue was ordered. She has reserved retro and we go back next month on that issue. If she were awarded all 27 months retro which = $3500 what is the maximum amount of time I will be given to repay this? Can I request that it be spread over the next 15 years? Are there certain time frames the Judge will try stay within? Case is in Chicago

Attorney Answers 3


Retroactivity is often ordered from the date of filing of the petition but in this case, there is no way of knowing for sure. Any arrearage will be ordered paid on a regular basis but it is not likely it will be spread out over 15 years. The most due - $3,500 according to you - is significant but not so huge that the judge will is likely to order $20 per month, which is how long it would take you to repay $3,500 over 25 years. Anything is possible, however. You really should consult with an attorney. Bring all your paperwork and have a private conversation with someone who is familiar with the particular courtroom and judge/hearing officer where your case is to be heard. If you are in the lower level of the Daley Center, yours could be a long and drawn out process.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


usually the judge sets support and then an additional 20% of the amount of the support to pay the arrearage. the arrearage runs interest at 9%. you are best off paying it off as soon as you can.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


15 years is a ridiculous amount of time. If you ask for that you will not get it. The court is not going to allow that. There is interest so pay it off ASAP. The mother needs the funds to raise the child. Do the right thing here and pay it off.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics