Skip to main content

What is the max for a first offense aggravated assault?

Savannah, GA |

When the police arrested my boyfriend they broke his jaw does that count for anything???

He was attacked by two officers saying that he assualted them with a deadly weapon. He had a switch blade and a tazzer on him but never pulled it out on the officers. When they was slamming him to the ground the tazzer went off, also one officer said he was kicked in his gronds. Theres also a video can that help him? He has ADHD and suffer from seizures.(Don't know if i spelled it right)

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Twenty years.

  2. Up to twenty years in prison.

    Darrell B. Reynolds, Sr.
    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    "Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - William Shakespeare

    NOTICE – 1) This email does not create an attorney/client relationship. In order to create an attorney/client relationship with this office it is necessary to enter into a written contract agreed to by both parties. 2) This email is intended only for the person(s) listed in the To: and CC: lines. It is not intended for anyone else and any reliance upon this email by other parties is at their own peril. 3) This e-mail, and all attachments transmitted with it, may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information that is intended solely for the individual(s) or entity(ies) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, then you are not authorized to read, distribute, copy, or otherwise use any or all portions of this e-mail or any attachment. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephone at 1-404-636-6616, and delete all copies of this e-mail. Thank you.

  3. 1-20 years in most situations.; 5-20 when it's an assault upon a peace officer.

    ↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.

  4. The maximum sentence is 20 years. The broken jaw may or may not be an issue, and it may or may not help him. The answer to that question would depend upon a review of the entire case. As for the videotape, it could help or hurt him according to what is documented thereon. You cannot assume that your boyfriend is telling you the complete and utter truth about the incident. Neither should you assume that the officers are completely lying about the incident. If their is video, it will be the most accurate version of what happenned. Regardless, your boyfriend is going to need the assistance of a good attorney.

  5. The maximum punishment for each Aggravated Assault in Georgia is 20 years in prison. Since police officers allegedly in the performance of their lawful duties are the alleged victims there is also a 5 year minimum if convicted. See O.C.G.A. 16-5-21 for more information. He should call an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately.

  6. If he is convicted of Aggravated Assault the penalty in Georgia is from 1 to 20 years in Prison. I would advise you to make sure that the VIDEO evidence is protected. His attorney should make sure that the evidence is preserved and review it ASAP. He may be facing additional charges if the officers claim that they were physically struck or injured by him. His broken jaw may count - if the evidence proves that he did not assault the officers. Finally, if there are any witnesses to the incident you should make sure that his Attorney knows about them. Good Luck!
    George McCranie

    The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general information purposes. My response should not be taken as legal advise as no attorney / client representation exists. Additionally, the information given in this answer is specific to the State of Georgia only and should not be applied to any other state.

Police misconduct topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics