What is the main difference when the Final Order that says "Dismissed" vs. the the Order that says "Denied" on Civil Matter??

Asked over 1 year ago - Norristown, PA

What is the main difference when the Final Order that says "Dismissed" vs. the the Order that says "Denied" on Civil Matter?? Is it the same thing, or legally speaking, have different meaning/intentions/purposes? Example: Petitioner filed a Petition on merits of an issue, and the Judge "Dismissed" it (no explanation given). Would it be different if the Judge "Denied" it? Legal consequences of each?

This is not a new action. This is in a Family Law court.

1. Christopher Edward Ezold

Pro

Answered . I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My practice includes employment, business and health care law. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies.

That being said, and without having reviewed the petition, there is essentially no difference - except that if a Petition started the action, and it was 'dismissed,' then the entire action is likely terminated. If it was a small part of of a larger piece of litigation, then the petition's issues are dismissed, but the remainder of the litigation would proceed.

/Christopher E. Ezold/

The Ezold Law Firm, P.C.
    Employment, Business and Health Law
    One Belmont Avenue, Suite 501
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
    (610) 660-5585
    Cezold@Ezoldlaw.com
    www.ezoldlaw.com

2. Scott Ivan Fegley

Answered . Generally, "denied" is a response to a single motion or petition in a case such as a motion to compel discovery. "Dismissed" means the case, or perhaps one or more claims within the case, are being thrown out entirely. In the above situation, the dismissal of the petition most likely resolved the matter for which the petition was seeking relief and there will not be further proceedings related to the petition. It is always difficult to be precise without seeing the documents themselves, but this is my best guess.