What is the lowest standard rate for a personal injury attorney for a car accident? Should there be extra costs associated?

Asked about 1 year ago - Wilkes Barre, PA

I am under doctors care for injury sustained from a car accident on 09/10/13 and the doctor put me out of work for a few weeks. I was hit by a drunk driver who was arrested.

1. Angel Mae T Webby Esq.

16

Answered . Rates for attorney services can differ. For a car accident case, they are typically handled on a contingency rate in addition to costs expended by the attorney. The most important factor in retaining an attorney is that you feel confident and comfortable with them.

Disclaimer: This answer does not provide legal advice and only provides general information.

2. Jeffrey Mark Adams

12

Answered . You generally get what you pay for

3. Jonathan David Marx

10

Answered . Our office works on a contingency basis, which means no cost to you unless we recover, our rates vary with regard to whether we take the case to trial or settle out of court; for specifics please feel free to contact us.

4. Andrew Daniel Myers

11

1

Answered . If you are looking for the cheapest lawyer, you are going to find the cheapest lawyer. If you look for the cheapest car, without looking at the engine, the body, the mileage and the other important factors, you will get ... the cheapest car. Good luck driving it off the lot. The last time potential clients started dickering with me over the legal fee I showed them politely to the door. I know I didn't miss anything. Look for an experienced personal injury attorney with results. Ask about other cases they have handled. I'm happy to talk about mine. Here are 10 reasons to find an experienced attorney and not a cheap one: BLUE LINK BELOW

5. Tatiana Kadetskaya

8

Answered . You did not say what your injuries were, but to give you an example, I handle these claims for 29% fee, or you can retain a high profile lawyer like Mr. Lassen. Good luck.

6. Timothy George Kerrigan

7

Answered . Lawyers will work for a standard hourly rate, which will vary from lawyer to lawyer, but it is more common in a car accident scenario that the lawyer work for a contingency fee, generally set by certain percentage of the recovery. Under either fee structure, the attorney's fee will be in addition to the costs incurred in pursuing the claim.
    Whatever the fee and cost arrangement, you have to have a good relationship with your lawyer.

Pro

5

Answered . Get a top-rated Avvo lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30%. Frankly, anything higher is highway robbery, and disgusting in my view. If you paid your real estate agent 40% fee to sell your house, would you be able to even pay off your mortgage? Be smart

8. Gerald R Stahl

Pro

6

Answered . Several good answers here, but I think Mr. Myers nailed it. A contingency fee is a team effort. Generally , I get 33%. It is rare that a client asks for less. At the end of the case they are happy and they know I worked hard on their case. The bottom line is you get what you pay for. Good Luck!

9. Nelson Abbott

6

Answered . Standard rate is 33%.

Here is what I'd ask myself. If you can negotiate the attorney down on the contingency fee, maybe you should be the one negotiating with the insurance company too.

10. Jonathan Craig Reed

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . There is absolutely no such thing as the "lowest standard rate." And I do not believe the "you get what you pay for" theory. Here in Nevada--and I don't have a license in PA so I am not fishing for your business--my firm offers a 25% fee in cases such as yours. Most other personal injury lawyers, including most of the tv advertisers offer a fee that starts at 33% and may go up if suit has to be filed. My fee stays the same whether or not suit has to be filed or the case tried. Now, if a client goes with the tv advertiser the client is paying, out of the 33% or higher fee, for the tv ads, the billboard ads, the website optimizers, the website ads, etc., etc. Do you think the client paying for all of this gets the client better legal representation? No, it gets their cases handled by case managers.

Maybe a lawyer has an expensive big office. Again, does that big expensive office get the client better representation? No.

11. Nick T. Movagar

3

1

Answered . In the vast majority of cases, lawyers representing claimants involved in a car accident charge a contingency fee, meaning they retain a percentage of the total recovery as their fees (along with recovering the reasonable costs they incurred in representing the claimant). This is beneficial for claimants because they do not have to personally pay "out of pocket" for any attorney's fees and the attorney only gets paid if he is able to secure a monetary recovery for his client. I have seen contingency fees range from 25% to 45%, with 33% being the most common percentage.