What is the lowest legally justifiable price to sell a home that is part of an estate that protects executor from liability

Brooklyn, NY |

Beneficiaries are estranged relatives and out of state residents. House needs total renovation. Potential buyer, interested and aware cost of renovation will require significant investment . (estimated at $250. sq ft)

I suggest you get an appraisal or some estimates from real estate brokers.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

You want to sell at Fair Market Value. Start with an Appraisal and then go from there. Good Luck!

Real estate appraisal for a start.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

The Executor stands in relatioship of trust and openess vis-a-vis the beneficiaries. S/he must obtain the best value for the property. If the executor fails to properly perform his/her duties, he/she may be subject to a lawsuit by two beneficiaries of the estate.

I suggest that you file a petition to sell real property and serve the beneficiary. You offer them the chance to object and attach a copy of the contract of sale to your petition. If the beneficiaries do not object and the court gives you the go ahead to sell the property at the price in your petition, you can sell at that price. It is important to have a lawyer familiar with trusts and estates and real estate handle the matter because certain language needs to be in the rider.

Aside from the obvious necessity to obtain an independent appraisal on as is basis and potential value if investment of $x.x is made, I would write to the beneficiaries and ask them to make a bid on the house at the value obtained from the appraisal ornelect to distribute the house to the beneficiaries to decide on their own to invest in the costs to take it to the next level. Once you have taken the pulse of the affected parties then you will be in a better position to defend any action you choose....assuming the will is not restrictive over your choices here. If you get nasty grams from the estranged beneficiaries then would I recommend you take the 3rd party offer (which better not have a connection to you in some way that makes you biased to give a sweetheart deal) and submit a Petition to Surrogate Court to get court approval and order to sell as recommended.

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.

Wills and estates topics