What is the longest amount of time I can I stay in the US if I change my status from J1 to F1

Asked 5 months ago - Philadelphia, PA

I am looking to change my status from a J1 au pair visa to a F1 student visa.

The programme I would like to study starts in the Fall of 2015 but my Visa is up in December of this year. It will not work out for me financially if I have to return home between this time and I cannot find any class that starts in the spring of 2015 that I like.

If I can prove that I can support myself financially for the gap is that enough?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

1

Answered . If you want to remain in the US in the interim, until classes start and you are able to start them in F-1 status, you will need to foe for a "change of status" to B-1/B-2 "visitor" to cover the interim period. Those applications are not easily granted and you will have to prove your financial ability to support yourself during that interim period. Speak to your school's DSO for the student visa and the I-20 the school will have to issei you. Can remain in F-1 status for half a decade, as long as pay those international student tuition and co it he to attend classes in good standing.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . For as long as you are genuinely engaged in a valid course of study.

3. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

3

Answered . Possibly. You would have to present all evidence of support when required.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . As Mr. Behar mentioned, you can try going for a B-2 ... but the chances are slim.

If you can support yourself in the US for the 9 month gap ... in reality, you can afford to fly home & return in the fall of 2015 ... working in a place where it is legal for you to work ==> your homeland.