What is the limit on how many times a person can file bankruptcy and is the a period of time you have to wait between filing

Kansas City, KS |
Filed under: Chapter 7 bankruptcy

Ex. I filed about 15 years ago and how can you find out the last time that i filed

If you filed 15 or so years ago you are eligible to file again. The time between filings is at most 8 years (from Ch7 to filing a new Ch7), the waiting periods between being able to receive a discharge in other chapters are shorter, for example 4 years between Ch13s. If you or more likely your attorney have PACER access you can look up the exact date that your last case was filed.

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended as a general discussion of legal issues and not as a statement of fact, legal advice or a legal opinion. No attorney-client relationship is created by this message. Do not act or rely upon law-related information in this communication without seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in the relevant area. I am a Federally Designated Debt Relief Agency under the United States Bankruptcy Code. I proudly help people in financial need file bankruptcy cases. IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (or in any attachment) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication (or in any attachment).

There is no limit to the number of times a person can file bankruptcy but there must be 8 years between filing a Chapter 7 case that resulted in a discharge to seek a new discharge. Anyone can look up bankruptcy records for a small fee at the court website and I am posting the link below. Hope this perspective helps!

You would be eligible to file Chapter 7 or 13 Bankruptcy. There is no limit on the number of times a person can file bankruptcy. However, a person must wait eight years from their initial Chapter 7 before they are eligible for another Chapter 7 discharge. You can look up your last filing on the court’s website.

Any information submitted by this attorney on Avvo.com is not intended to be communicated as legal advice. All information provided is general and intended for information purposes only. For detailed legal advice regarding your loan modification, foreclosure, and/or bankruptcy needs, please schedule an appointment with the attorney.

The time is measured from filing, or the beginning of the case, to filing. 8 years between Chapter 7s, a 13 may be filed 4 years after a 7, a 7 6 years after a 13. 13 2 years after 13 (which makes no sense, but it is the law!)

Here is a good post on when you may get a bankruptcy discharge by filing a new case if you have previously filed a bankruptcy case. http://www.bankruptcylawnetwork.com/2-4-6-8-how-long-must-i-wait-to-file-bankruptcy/

You can find out your filing history through the bankruptcy court.