What is the likely hood of unwed father getting custody of my newborn, we live in different states.

Asked over 1 year ago - Saint Louis, MO

together for 3 years and found out I was pregnant he bailed. I tried to contact him at his residence and he had me arrested for trespassing. He has signed a statement stating he has no interest in the child, he will pay child support and to leave him alone. I tried to contact him by legal mediation and he refuses . Baby is now born and he still doesn't care. I do not work currently but I do have a career. I had to leave the state where father resides and my career to live with my mom for help because I had complicated pregnancy. I have no criminal past except the trespass and I am a good mother. should I act now here at the state I am at currently and do you think he can gain any custody being he has shown no interest.

1. Catherine Earnshaw-Hobbs

1

Answered . In order to establish paternity of a child born out of wedlock, you need to file a paternity action. That action can be used to set up child support and custody as well as have the court make a formal determination of your child's paternity. If there is a dispute about where the child should primarily reside, the court will look to determine who has been taking care of the child and how good a job they have been doing to help the court in deciding on the best interests of the child.

2. Jay Bodzin

Answered . Well, if he doesn't want the child, then the chances are really very small indeed that he'll get it. The only exception would be if your rights were terminated, which would require a pretty extraordinary reason.

You should consult with an attorney who practices in your state, if you become involved in a court case. Until then, you'd only need to take legal action if you want to set up a child support order or some specific parenting schedule - the latter of which will be difficult, if the other parent is in another state and doesn't care anyway.

Please read the following notice: