What is the likely hood of being released early from jail if it is overcrowded? I am going to do 5 days. What is the chance of

Asked over 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

being released after hours like the stars? Will the jails spend their time and money for this short time being served?

1. Michael Carter Lukehart

Pro

4

Answered . Different counties have different procedures due to the overcrowding and the prison realignment. You are probably entitled to day for day credit. That means that, if you don't get early release, expect to do three days. If your jail is releasing people early, you could be released anytime.

2. James H. Dippery Jr

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with the prior answer. It does very much depend on where you are and how crowded the jail is. I know of a violation of probation where 10 days were imposed and the defendant showed up to start the time and he was sent home with full credit for the 10 days due to the over crowding. Hope it works out for you as well.

3. David Michael Boertje

Pro

1

Answered . If this is in San Diego County you will normally do half time which is 3 actual days, but I have had some clients luck out on occassion in SD jails on 4 or 5 day sentences and be released after a few hours. Also you might have some credits toward your 5 days from your initial arrest which is usually a day or two if you bailed out right away.

4. David Philip Shapiro

Pro

1

Answered . That is ultimately up to the jails, but be prepared to do 3 actual days, assuming you are going in for the 5 days at once, and not breaking it up a day here and a day there.

Your attorney would certainly be the best person to run this by as they should know what, if any, credits you already have.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555
  5. Michael James Kennedy

Pro

Answered . You are asking from San Diego, but I don't know if that is where your case is. It varies from county to county and charge to charge. In non-DUI charges, in some counties you would sign in and be released in hours, or even immediately; in other counties you would serve 3.