What is the likelihood of being sent to jail for driving without insurance in MD?

Baltimore, MD |

First offense for driving without insurance

Generally speaking, I seriously doubt that in MD you would go to jail for driving without insurance - they might be able to impound your car etc etc - However, I am a California attorney not licensed in MD & not familiar with their laws. Hopefully a MD attorney will spot this question & answer.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

Driving without insurance can be a hard case for the State to prove. You should hire an attorney to assist in your defense. Even if you are not being sent to jail, you do not want to have it on your record if at all possible

I am pleased to communicate with you concerning legal matters. However, if you communicate with me through this website regarding a matter for which my firm DOES NOT ALREADY REPRESENT YOU, your communication may NOT be treated as privileged or confidential, and shall NOT be deemed to create an attorney/client relationship. Furthermore, you should NOT provide confidential information to my law firm in an e-mail inquiry or otherwise unless we have FIRST entered into a representation agreement.

Michael R Crosner

Michael R Crosner

Very good information & advice from attorney Maher, a local Baltimore, MD criminal defense attorney

Contact a criminal defense attorney in your area to defend you. I don't practice in MD, but in my state, KY, I advise my clients to get a 6 month paid up policy to show to the prosecutor when we appear at court. Contact a MD lawyer to represent you.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Michael R Crosner

Michael R Crosner

Good Suggestion

Not likely, unless you caused a serious accident with injuries. Get insurance, and show up with proof the vehicle you were cited in is now insured and legal. Show it to the prosecutor. It may get dropped. Better chance of that happening if you have a lawyer.

It's anybody's guess at this point. Even a first-time offender might be sentenced to the maximum penalty. Ultimately, sentencing depends on whether you are found guilty, your prior record, how serious these are in the court's eyes, mitigation, and allocution. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.

VERY UNLIKELY. The State's Attorney will take multiple factors into consideration when making a recommendation for sentencing. First, prior driving history. Next, how you remedied the offense and how quickly you remedied the infraction. Lastly, the rapport with your attorney will help in making a plea. I would retain a criminal defense attorney in your area with a quality reputation in these matters.