What is the likelihood of being sent to jail for driving without insurance in MD?

Asked over 1 year ago - Baltimore, MD

First offense for driving without insurance

1. Patrick Erney Maher

Pro

4

Answered . Driving without insurance can be a hard case for the State to prove. You should hire an attorney to assist in your defense. Even if you are not being sent to jail, you do not want to have it on your record if at all possible

2. Mark William Oakley

3

Answered . Not likely, unless you caused a serious accident with injuries. Get insurance, and show up with proof the vehicle you were cited in is now insured and legal. Show it to the prosecutor. It may get dropped. Better chance of that happening if you have a lawyer.

3. Michael R Crosner

2

Answered . Generally speaking, I seriously doubt that in MD you would go to jail for driving without insurance - they might be able to impound your car etc etc - However, I am a California attorney not licensed in MD & not familiar with their laws. Hopefully a MD attorney will spot this question & answer.

4. William Lawrence Welch III

Answered . It's anybody's guess at this point. Even a first-time offender might be sentenced to the maximum penalty. Ultimately, sentencing depends on whether you are found guilty, your prior record, how serious these are in the court's eyes, mitigation, and allocution. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.

5. Sonila Isak

Answered . VERY UNLIKELY. The State's Attorney will take multiple factors into consideration when making a recommendation for sentencing. First, prior driving history. Next, how you remedied the offense and how quickly you remedied the infraction. Lastly, the rapport with your attorney will help in making a plea. I would retain a criminal defense attorney in your area with a quality reputation in these matters.

6. Frank Mascagni III

1

Answered . Contact a criminal defense attorney in your area to defend you. I don't practice in MD, but in my state, KY, I advise my clients to get a 6 month paid up policy to show to the prosecutor when we appear at court. Contact a MD lawyer to represent you.