Skip to main content

What is the likelihood of avoiding incarceration for any length of time?

Los Angeles, CA |

A criminal complaint has been filed against me charging me with contempt of court - protective order. I have one prior for violating a restraining order and a prison prior for a probation violation which contains some vandalism and stalking elements. My three year formal probation upon my release from prison was terminated after one year for perfect compliance. I am employed and I have a 19 year old son that lives with me and his father. There were instances of vandalism to the protected party's car, but I am not aware of what evidence there is which would show that I am the one who did it. the city attorney's office must have felt the evidence was sufficient to proceed and I have been notified to appear at an arraignment.

I have been unsupervised for nearly a year now. The prison sentence resulted from a probation violation which, in part, related to the same person's car, But, the original charge/crime was identity theft. This person made a series of false allegations to my probation officer which led to the violation. I admitted the violation partly out of fear, and partly because a few of the many allegations made were true. And that is where the protective order comes from.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Well, first, if you are approached by police, do not make any statements. How long have you been unsupervised? Was the prison sentence and/or former vandalism, etc. related to the same person's car? Is that where the protective order comes from?

  2. Get an attorney. Obviously the DA feels that they have enough evidence to proceed.

    Andrew Roberts

    Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777

  3. If you were not around, then it may be simpler than you think to prove it. However, there appears to be contrary evidence. Before posting additional information on this public website, I recommend that you contact an attorney in private so that the attorney-client privilege kicks in. Many reputable attorneys offer a free consultation so contact as many as you desire to determine which one best suits your needs. You may have some options. God bless.
    for your Freedom, for Fairness, for your Future because sometimes good people find themselves in unpleasant situations
    (800) 409-7010

    The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

  4. I suggest you hire a criminal defense attorney. If you are not responsible for this vandalism you may be able to present an alibi defense. It is important you don't speak to any police or detectives and that you be careful what you say publicly online regarding you case. I'd be happy to give you free consultation, as most attorneys on AVVO would. You shouldn't be going through this alone. Good luck!

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics