What is the likelihood I will get some compensation back for stolen items while renting a house?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Albany, NY

The house I am renting was broken into and a good amount of things were stolen and a good amount of damages were done. The landlord was negligent in constructing on a broken down porch that lead to the robber breaking into the house easily. We have the police report on file as well as a code enforcement violation about the inhabitable porch that should have been constructed on before the robbery but was never done. What are the steps to go about suing her (small claims?) for the missing items and what are the odds I will get back some compensation?

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

3

Answered . Difficult to win lack of security cases when a criminal steals your items. First check your renter's insurance policy if you have one. In a lawsuit you will need to show that the landlord's negligence was the cause of your robbery.

2. Richard J. Chertock

Pro

2

Answered . First check your lease. It may require you to have renters insurance. If you do put in a claim, if you don't see what your lease says about it. The landlord probably has not liability. If you do sue based upon failure to provide adequate security that is a very difficult case to win.

3. Marco Caviglia

Answered . If the porch had been reconstructed timely, would the burglary have been impossible? If not, then your likelihood of success diminishes greatly before even getting into who other than the burglar is liable for the losses.