What is the likelihood I will get some compensation back for stolen items while renting a house?

Albany, NY |

The house I am renting was broken into and a good amount of things were stolen and a good amount of damages were done. The landlord was negligent in constructing on a broken down porch that lead to the robber breaking into the house easily. We have the police report on file as well as a code enforcement violation about the inhabitable porch that should have been constructed on before the robbery but was never done. What are the steps to go about suing her (small claims?) for the missing items and what are the odds I will get back some compensation?

1. Difficult to win lack of security cases when a criminal steals your items. First check your renter's insurance policy if you have one. In a lawsuit you will need to show that the landlord's negligence was the cause of your robbery.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

2. First check your lease. It may require you to have renters insurance. If you do put in a claim, if you don't see what your lease says about it. The landlord probably has not liability. If you do sue based upon failure to provide adequate security that is a very difficult case to win.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

3. If the porch had been reconstructed timely, would the burglary have been impossible? If not, then your likelihood of success diminishes greatly before even getting into who other than the burglar is liable for the losses.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Landlord-tenant topics