What is the legal status of unincorporated Beach Communities or Associations in Washington State?

Asked over 2 years ago - Greenbank, WA

A beach community of eight owners has annual meetings and typically votes for or against rules governing their own community and their jointly owned beach. Topics such as fireworks, fires, structures, dogs, and shellfish harvesting on their beach are discussed. Although the social pressure of a vote usually works, what is the legal standing of such a loose community to enforce those rules?

1. Shawn B Alexander

Pro

1

Answered . Start with the title of the property governed and you may find the developer set up a Homeowner's Association and that status will be a non profit corporation under RCW 64.38 and the rules will be set forth in the governing documents. The Association must use the courts to enforce the rules.

Good Luck

2. Robert Lincoln

1

Answered . If the beach is commonly owned, there may be provisions in the deeds themselves, in subdivision documents or in common covenants that govern these decisions. You may be able to find these documents by searching public records on line.