What is the legal definition of unfair treatment, if any exists?

Asked over 5 years ago - Renton, WA

I work for large Asian company. My current position was at risk, and I slowly started to network within the company to find potential new positions. After a while I was literally forbidden to contribute to any other group, even though this had no impact in my performance or expected results. At the same time, the colleague who worked in the identical job as me was not only allowed to do that, but he also received additional tasks from the top without any explanation of why he would be more qualified than me. I requested for my performance review, but it was not provided for an entire year. After that, even though I am a technical manager, I was asked to do physical work in warehouse in conditions that worsened my medical condition. I filed a complain against the behavior, and in paper they acted as it should be, but on the phone they said that I should just "suck it up" or "find for a new job" if I did not like it, and they can do anything to me, no matter if you have 2 or 3 advanced degrees.

I applied for another internal position, but I was never informed why they would think I would not be qualified for that. I receive a performance review, but the level provided was below than the average of the components of my review.

My perfomance reviews are at a good level, though, and I worked very hard doint the things I was assigned. I feel being discriminated because I filed a complaint about my medical condition when I was forced to work in several warehouses. Now, I feel they are using the economic downturn as a way to get rid of me in a "legal" way. (They still said again taht I should find for another job, but apparently not inside my current company even though they praise my performance).

Can a company act in such way? Is the only solution allowed to me just to leave the company?

1. Lu Ann Trevino

Pro

Answered . I am not licensed to practice law in your state.

As long as you do not have a written employment contract, you can be fired for any reason or no reason UNLESS the decision is based on some impermissible discrimination such as age, race, ethnicity, disability, or other protected status. Also keep in mind that such discrimination claims are very difficult to prove. If you believe there is impermissible discrimination, you can file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

As a practical matter, you can try to wait until the company lays you off because it will have to pay for your unemployment benefits while you look for another job. If you quit, you will not be eligible for such benefits.

This information is given for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.