Skip to main content

What is the legal age that you can move out of your parents house?

Jacksonville, FL |
Filed under: Family law

I am 17 and my mother lives in a hotel. I would like to know if I can move out on my own and do I have to have her consent?

Attorney Answers 3


Technically, prior to age 18 you would need your parents' consent or a court order. As a practical matter, if you can support yourself and unless someone strenuously objects I would not expect you to be bothered. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree


You need to be 18 years old or be emancipated. However, you might have more options based on her/your living situation.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando)

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleagues, however, there are some other grounds under which you can seek what we call removal of the “disabilities of non-age” or as it is more simply known “emancipation.”

While the consent of both parents is the easiest way to become emancipated and move out on your own, there have been cases in which I assisted a petitioning minor to achieve emancipation without the consent of one or both parents but you must fit the statutory grounds and you must serve both parents as adverse parties and it is still in the discretion of the Court.

You may want to speak with an attorney and have them review the statute with you to see if you could file for removal of the disabilities of non-age (emancipation) or, if the cost and expense make it just as easy to wait until the passage of time brings about your 18th birthday.

I wish you luck in this regard.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics