What is the law regarding getting child support and being on disability, including benefits to support my child?

San Francisco, CA |

Where can I find this info? I've been told my getting ss disability and also getting it for my daughter to support her cancels out getting child support from the father. Why are they even related? Isn' t disability my income?

It's pertinent in terms of your relative income which is a statewide guideline formula. You can hire a lawyer or go to the courts self help website. Don't rely on non- lawyers for legal advice

Here is the calculator for California
https://www.cse.ca.gov/ChildSupport/cse/guidelineCalculator

You would put the disability in the disability section for income and not as wages/salary.

This answer is a general interpretation of the law and is not fact specific to your case. Likewise it does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should seek an attorney for a review of your specific facts and documents. My firm is All for the Family Legal Clinic, Inc. a nonprofit public benefit corporation that charges on a sliding scale based on income and family size. For a consultation contact us 510-999-7732 or at our website www.allforthefamilylegalclinic.org

While you can use the child support calculator provided in Ms. Ross' answer, I would highly recommend that you consult with an experienced California family law attorney to review the details of your case and help you formulate a legal strategy. I hope this helps and have a nice weekend.