What is the law for probate, in Calif.? Uncle has 2 properties, one is a rental. He has sister in another state.

There are two properties. On the main residence, there are two people who are living in ajoining rooms attached to house. They do not pay rent, or utilities. My uncle, who is very ill in hospital, did not assign a beneficiary to the properties. At this time he is unable to communicate and may not survive. He does have a sister in another state, who is ill as well and unable to travel. How do I keep the property in our family? How long is the probate process and can I have these two people removed, legally?

Thornton, CO -

David M. Rich

David M. Rich

Probate Attorney - Boulder, CO

You should re-post this question in the California law section, as you need a California lawyer to answer this.

Sponsored Listing
Richard Waldron Bryans Jr.

Richard Waldron Bryans Jr.

Litigation Lawyer - Denver, CO

I agree with Mr. Rich, this is not really a question for a Colorado attorney if the property is not in Colorado, unless of course that attorney is also licensed to practice law in the state of California.

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

Probate Attorney - Livonia, MI

I agree that you should repost as a California question. I would simply add that, unless your uncle has a Power of Attorney in place, or the properties are in a trust, there is no legal way for you to take charge of this situation, unless you are appointed the guardian and/or conservator for your uncle. You should consult with a lawyer to determine how to proceed.

James Frederick