What is the law concerning being pulled over while on your own property?

El Mirage, AZ |

I went to the store a police officer followed me home, turned on his lights when I was already half way in my driveway. He said he pulled me over because he saw something in my mouth as he was driving by me and thought it was drugs. I had no license or insurance and I also had no drugs!He then had my car towed away!

1. Just being on your own property doesn't give you a free pass - otherwise anyone who commits a crime & is being pursued could just make it to their property & be free & clear.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

2. My colleague states the applicable law correctly. However, if in fact your account of what the officer lists as the basis of his stopping you is accurate, you still may have a legal/factual challenge to the stop; sounds weak. You should consult a qualified, experienced attorney.

3. There is no "home base" rule in the criminal law - so that part of the question isn't going to get you anywhere. However, under AZ law there has to be an identifiable, reasonable, basis for a traffic stop, and from what you said, there could be an argument that this officer was just fishing, rather than protecting the public by messing with you. It may be worth making the argument or consulting with an experienced attorney to get the stop thrown out.

Anyone viewing this web site should not act on any information contained on this site without seeking professional counsel from an attorney. Use of this web site and/or transmission of information to the firm is not intended to create, and should not be construed as creating, an attorney-client relationship with the firm or any of its attorneys. If you choose to communicate with the firm or any of its attorneys or other personnel through this web site, do not transmit any confidential or sensitive information by e-mail until you have spoken to an attorney from our firm either by telephone or in person. This web site may be considered advertising under applicable laws and ethical rules. The Law Offices of Brent D. Harris, PLLC do not seek to represent anyone in any state where lawyers in the firm are not admitted to practice, or in any state where this web site fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules of that state.