What is the law concerning being pulled over while on your own property?

Asked over 1 year ago - El Mirage, AZ

I went to the store a police officer followed me home, turned on his lights when I was already half way in my driveway. He said he pulled me over because he saw something in my mouth as he was driving by me and thought it was drugs. I had no license or insurance and I also had no drugs!He then had my car towed away!

1. Craig S Orent

Pro

1

Answered . My colleague states the applicable law correctly. However, if in fact your account of what the officer lists as the basis of his stopping you is accurate, you still may have a legal/factual challenge to the stop; sounds weak. You should consult a qualified, experienced attorney.

2. Brent D Harris

1

Answered . There is no "home base" rule in the criminal law - so that part of the question isn't going to get you anywhere. However, under AZ law there has to be an identifiable, reasonable, basis for a traffic stop, and from what you said, there could be an argument that this officer was just fishing, rather than protecting the public by messing with you. It may be worth making the argument or consulting with an experienced attorney to get the stop thrown out.

3. Michael R Crosner

1

Answered . Just being on your own property doesn't give you a free pass - otherwise anyone who commits a crime & is being pursued could just make it to their property & be free & clear.