Skip to main content

What is the K1 Visa processing time ?

Minneapolis, MN |

I am from India and wish to marry a US citizen . We are planning to get married in end of July . How early should we begin the process if i need to be able to go and get married in July and how long would it take to process the 1 visa . Also once i go to US and get married and apply for my permanent residency , can i come back to India for a few weeks and go back ?

Attorney Answers 4


K1 processing is about 7 months. Where are you planning to marry? In India or US or a third country? Once you are a permanent resident you can travel back to India, or you may be able to do so on an Advance Parole. Consult with an attorney to discuss in detail which of the various options available to you you wish to pursue.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleague ... you have already missed the 'window' for a fiancee visa by July.

You should speak to an immigration attorney to discuss alternatives.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleague. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York. If you would like free legal updates on these immigration issues you may sign up for our newsletter at .

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova

Mark as helpful

10 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree


I agree with Maina. Always a good idea to get a consultation with an immigration lawyer. I'm sorry, but my firm only handles personal injury cases.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics