What is the jail time for Grand Theft in the state of Florida if you have never been in trouble?

Asked over 2 years ago - Panama City, FL

My boyfriend stole his mom’s credit card information and used over $4,000. I was on camera for a TV worth over $500 but the rest of the stuff that was bought I didn’t know about.

I was not willing to do it. He was very controlling and threatened me. He said he would kill me if I didn’t do it. I have proof from other people that he was controlling and that he called my house non-stop. What can I do?

1. 2

Answered . Hire an aggressive private criminal defense attorney. You may have a valid defense but only an attorney who knows all the facts can give an adequate answer.

Chances are, with no priors, you would not be doing any jail time, but would be put on probation for a few (2 or 3), years. This would probably be a 3rd degree felony, which carries a potential (not likely) sentence of 5 years in prison. You need to set up free consultations with a few local attorneys to see how much they will charge.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239
  2. 1

Answered . In Florida, the maximum time you can be incarcerated for Grand Theft of $4000 worth of property is five years. If this is your first offense, it is likely you will serve little or no jail time, provided you hire a good attorney.

You need to be aware that additional charges may be filed against you: Credit Card Fraud, Identity Theft, Organized Scheme to Defraud, etc. There are many felony charges that a creative prosecutor can charge someone with when a credit card is involved.

3. Answered . You definitely need to hire a criminal defense attorney to help with your case. I agree with each of the other attorneys. You could be facing jail and/or prison.

Just because it is a first time offense does not mean you will automatically not get jail time. Duress (being forced) can be a valid defense to a crime.

not intended as legal advice and this answer does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  4. Answered . Normally you would not get jail on a 1st offense. The only exception would be if the victim is really pushing it and the facts are ugly. Contact a local attorney to assist you with this case.

For more information contact the Law Office of Corey Cohen at 407-246-0066 or visit our website at www.coreycohen.com