What is the investment threshold for investor whose citizenship is of a NON-treaty country with the U.S?

Asked 10 months ago - Hyattsville, MD

I want to know what the minimum amount of invesment (e.g. commercial real estate and retail business) that a foreigner of a non-treaty country needs to have in order to qualify for investor's visa. If I make an investment during my F-1 and OPT period, will the amount be different, especially when the invesment is my area of study.

1. Efe Poturoglu

1

Answered . E-2 investment visa is not an option for nationals of non-treaty countries. But if the person is currently employed by the company abroad, he/she might be eligible for a new office L-1A visa with less investment that it would normally be required under E-2. More facts are required to evaluate the case and determine the right strategy/investment option.

2. Lynn Marie O'Brien

1

Answered . If you seek to qualify for a green card based on investment, you will need to invest $500,000 if the investment will be made in a targeted employment area (that is a rural area OR an area of high unemployment." Otherwise, the investment must be minimally $1,000,000. The tricky part about an EB-5 investment is not the threshold amount you invest, it is proving the job creation at the end of two years. If you are going to invest in a company, make sure that 10 jobs will be created so that you can remove the conditions on the temporary green card that you will be granted.

Alternatively, if you do not have $500,000 or $1,000,000, but you do have enough time remaining in OPT to last you through to April 1, 2014, you may want to see if you can get the company that you will invest in to sponsor you for an H-1. The key would be to show that the company has control over you even though you may be a part owner. (For example, business decisions are made by a board of directors instead of just you). Good luck!

3. Sreenivasarao Vepachedu

2

Answered . Green Card Through Investment

Entrepreneurs (and their spouses and unmarried children under 21) who make an investment in a commercial enterprise in the United States and who plan to create or preserve ten permanent full time jobs for qualified United States workers, are eligible to apply for a green card (permanent residence).

Up to 10,000 visas may be authorized each fiscal year for eligible entrepreneurs.

You must invest $1,000,000, or at least $500,000 in a targeted employment area (high unemployment or rural area). In return, USCIS may grant conditional permanent residence to the individual.

For more information, see Section 203(b)(5) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and 8 CFR 204.6 (see the “INA” link to the right).

4. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

Answered . If no E-2 Treaty, then EB-5 is the only option. $5000,000 is the threshold. Google the EV-5 category's requirements or better yet schedule a co saltation with a local immigration lawyer.

5. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.